Do you notice litter when you’re out on a bushwalk, at a local park or by the river? I only really began noticing it when my kids starting picking up litter to play with when we were at a playground. And let’s face it, who wants their kids playing with rubbish!! Litter is ugly, unhealthy and unsafe. What’s more, it kills animals and makes our natural environment sick. Plus, it takes away some of the beauty of our lovely bushland, creeks and river.
So I started removing it when we arrived at a playground and while on our bushwalks – the kids are now great litter spotters!
This is when I realised that sadly there was always rubbish lying around. Though some parks and bushwalks have more or less than others. From lollipop sticks and food wrappers accidentally dropped to bits of balloons and streamers left behind after a birthday party.
Then there’s all the bottle tops, cigarette butts, styrofoam, plastic straws, tissues/ wipes and sometimes even dirty nappies! And this is just the standard stuff you can find at parks… you should see what we remove at our litter clean up events!
Of course now I can’t go anywhere without noticing litter! Mostly it’s in the creek when out bushwalking or near the playground and picnic shelters at a park. But litter can also easily be found outside our schools and on the street.
It’s may not be my rubbish but this is my home (planet)!
Reducing the amount of litter in our creeks, Parramatta River, parks and streets requires each and every one of us to do our bit. It starts by creating less ‘rubbish’ in the first place and making sure all our RUBBISH GOES IN THE BIN. Then there’s storm water traps/ filters to grab the rubbish washed into the street drains. And when the litter still gets through, we need to pick it up and put it in the bin – every single bit helps!!
To encourage you to be a Parra Litter Hero by simply picking up a few bits of rubbish when out enjoying nature, we’re giving away 20 prizes valued at over $600 in total, thanks to the wonderful Liveable Parramatta team at City of Parramatta Council.
Just imagine how much litter we would remove from our community if all 20,000+ of the ParraParents community picked up a few bits!!
A BIG thank you to Carol from GardentoGut (top left), Ravin from The Savvy Saver (bottom left) and Sophia from Twins and a Blog (and her kids – bottom right) for supporting the Parra Litter Hero Challenge!
How to Enter
For your chance to win, simply pick up some litter when you are out on a ParraParents walking trail, on another local bushwalk, at a park, by the river or anywhere else in the City of Parramatta Council area. Then take a photo of the litter you’ve removed and share it. Plus tell us the location and what you think about litter in nature?
There are two ways to enter – you can add your photo and answers on our Parra Litter Hero Challenge post on Facebook OR you can do a publicly visible post on your Facebook or Instagram account with your photos, answers and hashtag #parralitterhero between 7:30pm Friday 5th June and 7:30pm Sunday 12th July 2020.
We’d also LOVE for you to use Litterati to record the litter you remove! We’ve set up a challenge – code PARRA2020.
Everyone who enters will receive a thank you certificate and kids smurf clean up bag. There are then 20 prizes to be won, totalling over $600! Unless stated, the prizes have been donated by City of Parramatta Council via Liveable Parramatta.
- 1st prize is one annual family pass to Sydney Zoo, valued at $198. EVERYONE who enters will be eligible for this prize.
- 2nd prize is a $100 Flora and Fauna shop gift voucher. It will be awarded to the person who picks up the most rubbish.
- 3rd prize is a $100 Flora and Fauna shop gift voucher. It will be awarded to the person who picks up the most bizarre/ unusual piece of rubbish.
- 4th and 5th prizes are a rubbish picker and Our Living River cap, valued at $34.99 each. EVERYONE who enters will be eligible for these prizes. Donated by the Parramatta River Catchment Group.
- 6th to 10th prizes are an Australian Native Animals Activity Card set, valued at $14.99 each. EVERYONE who enters will be eligible for this prize. Donated by ParraParents.
- 11th to 20th prizes are a Bluey Creek picture book, valued at $10 each. EVERYONE who enters will be eligible for this prize.
Competition Terms and Conditions
- By entering and participating, the entrant agrees to the terms and conditions set out below.
- By entering and participating, the entrant agrees to hold harmless, defend and indemnify ParraParents, City of Parramatta Council and Facebook from and against any and all claims, demands, liability, damages or causes of action (however named or described), losses, costs or expenses, with respect to or arising out of or related to (i) entrant’s participation in the competition, or (ii) entrant’s participation in any prize related activities, acceptance of a prize and/or use or misuse of a prize (including, without limitation, any property loss, damage, personal injury or death caused to any person(s).
- The competition is open to all families living in Sydney who remove rubbish from within the City of Parramatta Council area, except the judges and their family.
- You can enter as many times as you like during the competition period.
- The entrant must share a photo of the litter they’ve collected and properly disposed of, provide the location where the rubbish was picked up and tell us what they think of litter in nature either on the ParraParents Facebook page or via a publicly visible post on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #parralitterhero.
- All entries will be judged by ParraParents (Kellie Darley) and Liveable Parramatta (Julia Guo, City of Parramatta Waste Education Officer). The judge’s decision is final.
- The competition begins 7:30PM FRIDAY 5TH JUNE 2020 and ends 7:30PM SUNDAY 12TH JULY 2020. All entries must be posted by 7:30PM SUNDAY 12TH JULY 2020 via the ParraParrents Facebook page OR on a publicly visible post on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #parralitterhero.
- The winners will be announced on the ParraParents website and Facebook page by WEDNESDAY 22ND JULY 2020.
- The winners will be contacted by FRIDAY 24TH JULY 2020.
- There are 20 prizes to be won (prize pool total value is $642.93):
- 1st prize is one annual family pass to Sydney Zoo, valued at $198.
- 2nd and 3rd prizes is a $100 Flora and Fauna shop gift voucher each.
- 4th and 5th prize pack is a rubbish picker and Our Living River cap, valued at $34.99 each.
- 6th to 10th prizes are an Australian Native Animals Activity Card set, valued at $14.99 each.
- 11th to 20th prizes are a Bluey Creek picture book, valued at $10 each.
- The winners will either be sent their prize or asked to pick it up from City of Parramatta Customer Service Centre.
- The prizes are not redeemable for cash.
- In the event a winner is not able to receive their prize, a runner up will be selected by the judges.
- In the event that there are less than 10 entries received, ParraParents reserves the right to extend the competition period.
- All entrants will receive a thank you certificate and kids smurf clean up bag. Once the competition closes, we will contact each entrant to ask they provide their address details so City of Parramatta Council can send them their certificate and bag. Contact details you provide will not be used for any other purpose.
- All entrants give permission to ParraParents and City of Parramatta Council to use their entry photos by entering the competition. The photos may be used on social media or other online communication as well as in Council’s newsletter.