Central Gardens Nature Reserve
Cnr Merrylands Road & Cumberland Highway, Merrylands West NSW 2160
Fun 4 Kids ‘Warali Wali’ is a free NAIDOC inspired school holiday event for children on Friday 12th July from 10am to 2pm at Central Gardens in Merrylands.
Warali Wali, meaning Possum in traditional Darug land owners language, is a special NAIDOC celebration. The event explores the natural world and encourages children to get out and learn more about the environment.
Main Stage Program
Hosted by Play School’s Luke Carrol and headlined by ARIA Award winning Dan Sultan’s world premiere performance of his new children’s album Nali and Friends.
- 10am – Welcome to Country, dance and smoking ceremony.
- 10:30am – Chrissy’s Island Family stage show.
- 11.10am – Dreaming Stories with Aunty Cleonie
- 12pm – Chrissy’s Island Family stage show.
- 12:40pm – Official Ceremony.
- 1pm – Dan Sultan Presents Nali and Friends.
- 10am to 12pm – Freeman Dancers presenting Hip Hop and Traditional Dance workshops
- 12pm to 2pm – Dream Time Stories with Poppy the Possum.
So much to see and touch with our Aussie Animals interactive area including being one of the first to see the Central Gardens Nocturnal House as we open it for the first time.
- 10am to 2pm – Make animal masks of emus, koalas with the freeman Dancers.
- 10am to 2pm – Join us in the ATSICC tent for creative boomerang crafts and learn Darug vocabulary in our fun quizzes, win tickets to see The Bulldogs.
- 10:30am, 11:30am and 12:30pm – Fauna walk and Nocturnal house tours with Central Gardens Fauna keepers.
- 11am, 12pm and 1pm – Be introduced to some of Australia’s Native endangered species – learn what you can do to help.
Caring for Country
Central Gardens invites you behind the scenes at our bush school camp area to get your hands dirty and learn how to help care for country. Our teachers establish our relationship with country – rights and responsibilities, from an Aboriginal perspective.
- 11am – Learn about tool making weapons and Animal skins with NSW parks Ranger and Darug man Chris Tobin and then our parks manager will teach you about Bush tucker plants.
- 12.30pm – Help regenerate our local park by planting your own Bush tucker plant.
Enjoy the FREE rides from 10am to 2pm. Lines to the rides will close at 1:30pm.
- Mini rides for those under 130cm – Mini Ferris Wheel, Mini Carousel, Mixed Toy ride.
- Big rides for 3 years to adult – Jumping Castles.
- Bigger rides for 4 years to adult – Cup and Saucers, Giant Slide.
Watch the following movies on the day:
- 10am – Ferngully: The Last Rainforest.
- 12pm – Blinky Bill the Movie.
All Star Sports Zone
Meet and greet indigenous sports players and join in on fun sports activities and giveaways from 10am to 2pm
- Western Sydney Wanderers dribble zone inflatable play.
- GWS Giants Inflatable Ball Toss activities and Meet and Greet with GWS Giants young gun Zac Williams at 10am.
- Sydney Thunder Cricket Skills clinic and Nickelodeon inflatable pitch plus meet and greet with from the Thunder Indigenous XI men’s and women’s team.
- NRL Skills inflatables and 200 double pass giveaways for the Bulldogs next game.
Plus lots more activities and engaging play from ATSICC tent, Cumberland Environmental and Children’s Services Teams as well as food trucks and community stalls.
Getting to the Fun4Kids Event
- By Car: There is very limited parking at Central Gardens carpark and we highly recommend parking on surrounding streets or at Merrylands Oval carpark (corner of Merrylands Road and Burnett Street) and catching the free shuttle bus from here to Central Gardens. This shuttle bus will run from 10am to 2pm
- Public Transport: Warali Wali free shuttle busses will run from Auburn Station (10am to 2pm). Bus stop located on south parade side of the station. A free shuttle bus will also run from Merrylands Station (10am to 2pm). Bus stop located on terminal Place bus station side of the station.