My hubby loves chocolate and when I saw this box of chocolates cake earlier this year on Pinterest, I knew right away what I would be making for his birthday cake.
This birthday cake was actually used to celebrate three birthdays in the end so I used two favourite chocolates from each person, so there were six different chocolates in the box.
It was super easy to put together once I had made and iced the cake, probably taking 30mins to do – still laugh at the fact that I ended up one kit kat short, but just used a row of block chocolate instead.
- Make or buy slab cake – I made two 22cm square easy chocolate cakes from Donna Hays classic cookbook.
- Cover it in icing, starting with a bit on the bottom to stick the cake down. I used a divine buttercream chocolate ganache that I adapted from this recipe by using milk chocolate instead of white chocolate, adding a bit of cocoa and a little extra cream.
- Stick kit kat’s around the outside and secure with a ribbon.
- Use chomps, flakes, or rows of block chocolate to divide the cake into sections.
- Fill each section with different chocolate treats. My cake was to celebrate three birthday’s so I decorated it with two favourite chocolate treats for each person.
Things to Keep in Mind
- If your cake isn’t that high (in comparison to the length of the kit kats), you will need to use more chocolates to fill the box.
- The cake can be heavy once all the chocolates are on.
- Deconstructing it to serve is a little tricky – just remove ribbon and kit kat’s first 🙂