Mr almost 3 has taken on my love of baking, and is the ‘official sniff tester’ everything from the butter to the vanilla bean. This is our super simple never fail vanilla sponge cake.
225 grams unsalted butter, room temperature and diced
225 grams golden caster sugar
4 medium eggs
225 grams self-raising flour
2 teaspoons of baking powder
100 mls full cream milk
1 teaspoon of vanilla bean paste
- First pre-heat a fan force oven to 170 degrees.
- Butter and line with baking paper a round spring form cake tin (we have a 25cm tin).
- Using an electric mixer, mixed the butter on high for around 2 minutes until it becomes light and fluffy.
- Add the sugar and mix on high for another 2 minutes.
- Add the eggs 1 at a time making sure to mix well before adding the next egg.
- Add the baking powder to the flour. Sift and add to the mixture in 2 batches only lightly mixing to combine.
- Add the vanilla bean paste to the milk and give it a quick stir.
- Add the milk to the batter and give it a light mix.
- Pour the batter into the cake tin and cook for 55 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool in the tin before transferring onto a wire rack.
We make 2 batches to make a layered sponge cake, using buttercream icing to ‘glue’ the layers together, then top with some more butter cream and fresh strawberries. It tastes just as good with a simple dusting of icing sugar as well.