Here is the recipe for one of our favourite soups – spicy roasted pumpkin soup. Perfect on a cool autumn or winters day.
- 2 x Butternut Pumpkin (roughly 2kg in total)
- 5 x Garlic Cloves
- 1 x Red Chilli
- 1 x leek
- 2 x washed potatoes (cream delight)
- teaspoon chopped chives
- 1kg Campbells Real Stock Chicken
- 20g butter
- 150ml pure cream
- Bread to serve with
- half a teaspoon of cumin
- salt and pepper
1. First we peel both pumpkins, whilst this is happening, preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celcius.
2. We then chop the pumpkin into cubes.
3. Place the pumpkins on a tray on top of baking paper. Add the 5 cloves of garlic, unpeeled, on the tray as well. Drizzle with olive oil and add some herbs like chives or rosemary over it. Place it in the oven for 40 minutes.
4. Whilst we wait for the pumpkin to roast, let’s prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Peel the potatoes and chop them into small cubes.
- Wash and slice the leek
- chop the chilli into small pieces
- chop the chives for garnishing
5. Get a pot out, put the heat on medium high. Throw in the 20g of butter. Let it melt.
6. Add the leeks and chilli and let it sweat out for 3 minutes
7. Throw in the potatoes and stir for 5 minutes.
8. Add the chicken stock and 2 and a half cups of cold tap water. Also add some salt, pepper and the cumin. Bring to the boil and then lower the heat to medium low and let it simmer for 15 minutes.
9. While step 8 is happening, if it has been around 40 minutes or so, take out the roasted pumpkins from the oven and let it cool for a bit.
10. Once the garlic cloves have cooled down a bit, squeeze it out of the skin.
11. Once the pot has been simmering for 15 minutes, turn the stove up to medium high. Add the garlic and pumpkin and stir for 5 minutes. At this point I squish the ingredients for fun and also to taste.
12. Turn the stove off and leave for 5 minutes. Ladle some of the soup into a food processor and blitz it up. Keep doing this until all the soup has been transferred and is now silky smooth.
13. Return to the pot. Add some cream and water if you would like the soup to be less thick. Add any extra spices if you require. Once mixed through you are ready to serve!
14. Serve with some lovely bread