It was this time last year that I came across a friend’s Facebook post showing a video snapshot of their families life for the year. I fell in love with the concept of a visual diary at first sight and the fact that the app, 1 second everyday, was free was a bonus. I knew straight away that I wanted to make hubby a video for Christmas of what our little boys and I get up to while he is at work.
1 Second Everyday (1sec) app is available to download for free from Google Play and Apple Store.
How It Works
- My Life: creates a chronological movie using one second of footage (selected by you) from each day for a date range you choose.
- My 1SE Freestyle: allows you to turn your favourite moments into meaningful movies. You have access to unlimited seconds per day, in any order. This would be great for weddings, holidays and other special occasions.
Simply take landscape video footage each day of at least one second in length, but can be however long you want.
After you have some footage, open the 1sec app. You will need to create an account first. You can then select the My Life option and a calendar will be displayed. On the days you have video footage, a video icon will be displayed. You can select any of these days to see the footage you have taken on that specific day. When you play the footage, you can then select the specific one second you want to keep and click TRIM. Once you have a number of one second pieces of footage selected, you can compile a video. I recommend doing this early on so you can get a feel for how it works and looks.
For more information on using the 1 Second Everyday app, see their 45 sec tutorial.
My 1SE Freestyle
I haven’t used this option yet, but plan to do so this year for playgroup and also family trips away. What this short YouTube clip to learn more.
Hints and Tips for Using My Life
- Use only landscape video footage. Videos taken in portrait view are small in the final video and photos just look strange to me when mixed in with video footage. (see video below for an example of how portrait footage and photos look)
- Remember when selecting the one second of video footage to listen to the audio as well.
- Set up a reminder in the options section of the app so you get reminded each day to take footage. I managed to take footage on 89% of days in 2016, mainly because in the beginning I would forget and didn’t know about the reminder.
- Make sure to set up the sync function in the options section.
- Compile regularly – I was doing this about once a month towards the end – so you can see how the movie is looking.
- You can delete footage you have chosen for a day and select another one second clip. Just hold down on the day until the trash can appears.
One issue that has been resolved recently is being able to add in footage from videos downloaded to your phone. Previously, once you removed videos from your phone (like when they are backed up to the cloud and you run out of storage), you couldn’t add them back in again. So glad this has been fixed!