There is nothing better than seeing a park packed full of people enjoying time with their families and friends. That is what we found when we visited Auburn Park on a Saturday, soon after it re-opened to the public in 2017.
The smell of delicious food cooking on the barbecues from a host of different cultures made us salivate and we were tempted to ask if we could join one of the groups for lunch!
Auburn Park is a large community park in the heart of Auburn. It has recently been upgraded and now boasts quality facilities and a brand new playground suitable for all ages. It is a perfect place to hold a party or meet a large group of friends as there is so much space to spread out and enjoy the outdoors.
The playground was completely revamped with the park upgrade and now has:
- Toddler climbing gym (with ropes, climbing wall, slide, interactive wall panels)
- Three swings (including a toddler swing, normal swing and large disc swing)
- Disc spinner
- Spinning see saw
- Large, challenging rope climbing gym (suitable for primary and high school aged kids)
The surface is soft fall, and is brand new so it’s still colourful! There is a path around the playground for riding bikes and scooters and the paths continue throughout the park, so there’s plenty of riding to be done.
There is natural shade covering some parts of the play equipment, but a lot of it is in full sun making it a great playground to enjoy during the cooler months.
Auburn Park is very well equipped with all facilities to make for a fun and comfortable day out. There are plenty of picnic shelters, park benches and BBQ’s throughout, although if you’re going on a weekend you may need to secure them early.
Other facilities include:
- Brand new secure toilet block (but no baby change facilities)
- Large, round feature water fountain
- Two large outdoor gym equipment stations at the back of the park
- Cricket net (with stumps)
- Half-sized basketball court in brand new condition
A special mention should be made of the Auburn Friendship Garden, located at the Auburn Centre of Community, which is adjacent to the park. This is a beautiful community garden which is proving to be an invaluable social tool in the area. You can read more about it here, thanks to Western Sydney Food Blog.
Places to Eat Nearby
If you’re not planning on sharing a yummy BBQ lunch with family and friends at Auburn Park, then never fear! This park is within walking distance to some of the most delicious, multicultural food in all of Sydney! Around Auburn station, which is a 10 minute walk from Auburn Park you can find authentic food from Turkey, Lebanon, Iraq, Iran, Western China and many other places. As a family we have frequented many basic restaurants here that have the tastiest food. Some of our favourites include:
- Darband Restaurant (Persian food)
- Jasmine1 Lebanese Restaurant
- Tarim Uyghur Restaurant (Muslim food from China)
- Mado Cafe (Turkish food)
Other Places of Interest Nearby
- ChouChou Bebe Kids Play Centre and Cafe
- Lidcombe Remembrance Park
- Auburn Ruth Everuss Aquatic Centre
- Auburn Botanic Gardens
- Sunny Corner Toy Library
- Bardo Park
Finding Auburn Park
Auburn Park is located on the corner of Simpson St and Macquarie Rd in Auburn. There is a large gate and sign welcoming you to the park so it is hard to miss.
There is plenty of street parking available. Auburn Park is also only a 10 minute walk from Auburn station along Macquarie St.