Toddlers and preschoolers will have a fantastic time at the playground in Halvorsen Park. And there’s a few things to keep older kids entertained as well. Plus Council has approved adding a toilet block and bubbler, though it’s taking a while for it to be built.
We’ve been going since my boys were 3 and 2 years old (now 6 and 5) and they’ve always loved playing here. And we enjoy going for a scooter along the river afterwards.
It has a wonderful nautical theme that ties in the name of the park with the defence community living around it. The Halvorsen boat builders were located nearby and built a number of the Royal Australian Navy ships. HMAS AE2, a submarine that was lost in action in 1915, and the inspiration for the slide play equipment, is the name of the defence housing estate.
The Halvorsen Park playground, with rubber ground, has:
- a number of nature based play elements, such as logs and sandstone blocks to walk and climb on;
- four rope towers linked together;
- sandstone boat;
- wooden bridge with ship rope;
- play gym shaped like the top of a submarine with a sail and periscope;
- twirling twister; and
- plenty of paths to ride a bike or scooter on, including along the Parramatta River foreshore.
Plus, there’s a big grassed area next to the playground to kick a play around or fly a kite.
While Council included installing an amenities block and bubbler in its 2018/19 operation plan, there have been delays and work it yet to commence. As part of this work, drainage is set to be fixed on the field, where Market by the River was previously held (and hopefully will return to).
Sadly there also hasn’t been any progress with the corner store and cafe that was meant to open next to the park. Unfortunately it has been sitting vacant for years now.
While the playground is not fenced, it’s designed and landscaped in such a way to somewhat reduce the risk of little ones running out onto the foreshore cycleway/ footpath. Though you’ll need to keep a careful eye on little runners.
Along the foreshore path are sandstone blocks forming a barrier to reaching Parramatta River and then there is over 5 metres more before the water and a number of more barriers along the way. Determined explorers could manage it though if they tried.
Find Halvorsen Park
This park is located in the AE2 defence housing estate, next to the new Royal Shores apartments. It’s on the northern foreshore of Parramatta River, near Silverwater bridge. There’s only street parking, which can sometimes be tricky to find. You can also park at Eric Primrose Reserve and walk/ ride down.
Places of Interest Nearby
- River Park – fenced playground a 5min walk away
- Ken Newman Park – fun for climbers
- George Kendall Riverside Park – BBQs, toilets, new playground and multi-purpose sports courts
- Ermington Shops
- Eric Primrose Reserve – scooter/ bike track, BBQs, toilet block near Rydalmere Wharf
- Market By The River [CANCELLED until further notice]
- Rydalmere Wharf