1Due to the Christmas in Parramatta event being extremely popular, Council is moving it to Parramatta Park in 2018 and turning it into Parramatta’s very own BIG carols event – Carols in the Crescent.
With uplifting carols, a visit from Santa, lighting of Western Sydney’s largest Christmas tree, art and craft workshops, star-studded entertainment, delicious food stalls and fireworks, this years Christmas in Parramatta event should have everyone smiling and getting into the festive spirit! New additions to look out for are the virtual reality sleigh ride, interactive lighting elements on the Christmas tree and the colouring in competition to win the chance to light up the Christmas tree in your colours of choice on stage. Note: entries must be received by Monday 20 November 2017.
Keep reading for more information on this great family, local event, including handy tips for making the most with your kids.
Can’t make this Christmas in Parramatta event? There are plenty of other ways to celebrate Christmas in and around the City of Parramatta over the coming weeks. Check out our calendar of local Christmas events that are mostly free, cheap or one-off special ticketed events.
Christmas in Parramatta Event Highlights
Highlights of this year’s Christmas in Parramatta event include a stage show and ‘meet and greet’ with characters from the popular animated TV series PJ Masks, an uplifting Carols by Candlelight concert, photos with a puppy from Doggie Rescue and the lighting of Western Sydney’s largest Christmas tree with an interactive twist.
And please help make Christmas brighter for children in need by donating to City of Parramatta’s Christmas Gift Appeal. The gift appeal is being held in support of the work of the Salvation Army. Unwrapped gifts for children of all ages can be donated at the Christmas in Parramatta event or dropped off at Council’s Customer Contact Centre (126 Church Street, Parramatta) from Monday 13th November.
- Watch a remarkable stage show with characters from the much-loved animated children’s series ‘PJ Masks’.
- See MC Nay Nay, the newest sensation at ABC Kids, who is also known as ‘Hootabelle’ on ‘Giggle and Hoot’.
- Raise your candle and enjoy a beautiful ‘Carols by Candlelight’ show
- Listen to six local school choirs perform
- Enjoy performances by JMA Entertainment and Parramatta Brass Band
3Free Activities and Workshops
- ‘Meet & Greet’ with PJ Mask characters and MC Nay Nay
- Go on a virtual reality sleigh ride
- Take a photo with a puppy from Doggie Rescue
- Get a free personalised Christmas photo print
- Make an ornament
- Write a letter to Santa
- Take a photo with Santa
- Listen to Christmas stories at the Library tent
- Decorate a cookie
- Create your own ‘PJ Masks’ superhero mask
- Take a spin on the bike-powered juicer and blend some juice while you ride your bike!
4Christmas Tree Lighting and Fireworks
A highlight of the evening is the lighting of Western Sydney’s biggest Christmas Tree at about 7:50pm. And this year there is a fun, interactive twist, which will see families lighting up the Parramatta Christmas tree in the colours and designs of their choice. Plus, end your night with a bang of colourful fireworks at 9pm.
A range of yummy food will be available throughout the afternoon and evening, including:
- Gourmet glow-in-the-dark fairy floss from Fluffy Crunch
- Delicious donuts from Pimp my Donut
- Gelato and milkshakes by Bar Coco
- Burger and fried chicken food bus
- Authentic Turkish flat bread and pastries by Istanbul Gozleme
Other Important Information
Here are some handy tips, particularly if you have little ones:
- Within Centenary Square, there are shade umbrellas and park benches. More shade and seating will be available in the workshop area.
- There are baby change facilities in the Square’s permanent public toilets and there will be additional port-a-loos at the event.
- The water fountains will be on in the Square so the kids can cool down a bit if it is a hot day….but you may need a spare set of clothes.
- There is a pram parking area near the stage.
- In front of the stage will be a dedicated kids area.
Finding the Christmas in Parramatta Event
The Christmas in Parramatta event, hosted by City of Parramatta Council, will be held in Centenary Square.