Close to Westmead Hospital, Wentworthville library has a large kids area, wonderful toy library and a great weekly reading program for little ones. It’s part of the Cumberland Council Library Service.
The library is situated amongst community halls and there’s off street parking at the front and back. Next to the library at the back is a small fenced, shaded playground that has two swings and small climbing equipment best suited for kids 1-4yrs.
We love toy libraries and really wish more Council libraries would have them. They are a very cheap away for your kids to experience a wide variety of toys without adding to landfill and needing a huge amount of storage space at home. In addition to the toy library at Wentworthville, there are 6 others across Western Sydney.
This toy library in particular is fantastic because:
- it’s integrated with the library so you can borrow and return toys when the library is open
- it has a great selection of large, outdoor and indoor toys, such as cubby houses, play gyms, ride ons and pretend kitchens.
- you can search online for toys through the library catalogue
The toy collection has been organised according to their use:
- Activity (dark blue)
- Baby Play (pink)
- Coordination (purple)
- Discrimination (yellow)
- Expression (light blue)
- Fun & Games (green)
To borrow, you must become a member by completing a membership form and paying an annual fee. You will need to bring your membership card every time you borrow.
Individual membership options:
- $25 to borrow one toy at a time
- $25 for special needs children to borrow two toys at a time
- $37 to borrow two toys at a time
- $45 to borrow three toys at a time
- $54.40 to borrow five toys at a time
Note: All toys can be borrowed for two weeks with an individual membership and can be renewed online, in person or over the phone twice. This means you could have the toys for six weeks in total if no one else has put a hold on them.
Group membership option:
- $61.50 to borrow 4 toys at a time for 2 weeks
The toy library also has party packs for hire and they can be hired for weekends or during the week by arrangement. There’s currently 2 party packs available, divided into 2 age groups:
- Pack 1 is suitable for children aged 1-4 years
- Pack 2 is suitable for children aged 3-6 years
There are a number of free, drop-in sessions at Wentworthville Library for little ones during school term.
- Baby Rhyme Time: For children from birth to 12 months on Wednesday and Friday at 10am. Each session runs for 15 minutes and includes songs, rhymes, reading and fun.
- Toddler Time: For children 1 to 3 years on Wednesday and Friday at 11am. Each session runs for 30 minutes and includes songs, rhymes, reading and fun especially for active toddlers.
- Preschool Storytime: For children 3 to 5 years at Tuesday and Thursday at 11am. Each 45 minute session includes stories, songs and a simple craft.
Plus, there’s after school antics sessions on Wednesdays from 3:30pm to 4:30pm that you can drop-in to during school term.
Finding Wentworthville Library
Wentworthville is just north of the M4, near where it meets Cumberland Highway. The library is right near Wentworthville train station and there’s a lift at the station if coming with a pram. If you are driving, there’s parking at the front and back of the library. But make sure to park onto into the marked spots.