West Ryde Library is very kid friendly. The kids area is a lovely large open space with a learning pod, microscopes, interactive touch screens and cool rocking ducks, plus lots of natural light. There are also science kits that you can borrow.
And then there are the little kid friendly touches – like the stool near the returns shoot so the kids can reach and the same at the borrowing counter – that make it so welcoming.
We usually visit after playgroup and easily spend an hour there. The only downside for me is the ipads….I think going to the library should be screen free time but at least it is only Playschool playing.
West Ryde Library runs four weekly programs for kids under 5. We haven’t yet been to one there but hear they are very popular.
- Ryde Rockers Rhyme Time (0 to 2yrs): Monday and Tuesday 2pm, Friday 10.30am
- Storytime (2 to 5yrs): Wednesday 11am
(note: on the 3rd Wednesday of the month, Bilingual Storytime will be held for all ages)
- Kids Club (primary aged children): Wednesdays 3.30 to 4.30 pm
West Ryde Library was renovated in late 2015 and still looks new. There is:
- pram parking
- parents room with change table
- disable toilet with change table
- floor chess board
- free wifi
Joining and Borrowing
Membership is free and anyone who lives, works or plays in the City of Ryde is eligible to join.
As a Library member you may borrow and return items at any of the Ryde libraries. You may:
- borrow up to 25 items at a time
- borrow most items for 3 weeks, DVDs, magazines, HSC books and Fast Reads for 1 week.
- Monday, Wednesday, Friday: 10am to 5pm
- Tuesday and Thursday: 10am to 8pm
- Saturday: 9.30am to 5pm
- Sunday: 12pm to 4pm
Finding West Ryde Library
There is limited on-street parking (30mins) outside the library and the best place to park is in the Marketplace Shopping Centre car park (free for the first two hours).