It’s August already! The beginning of the month brings more chances to explore with the family, especially with Market by the River, Sculptures at Barangaroo, a rock painting party and horse party on this weekend!
During the week, we highly recommend popping along to the free Storytime at Bunnings Rydalmere with Pip. And with no rain forecast for next week, why not soak up some vitamin D while exploring a gem of a park we have recently reviewed like Biplane Park, John Berger Reserve, Rosslyn Blay Park and William Wade Park.
Plus, don’t forget to get ready for next weekend! It’s going to be massive! There is Super Science Saturday, Hornsby Steam Shuttles, Riverfest, India Day and Science in the Wild. Register or pre-book now so you don’t miss out!
Highlights for the Week
Below we have highlighted a few of this week’s events. Click on each day to be taken to the What’s On Calendar for that day. There is also a list of key upcoming events at the end of this article for you to mark in your calendar. And if you haven’t used our What’s On Calendar before, here is a handy demo on the different ways you can use it.
- Build some lego creations at Lil’ Kid Constructions Lego fun at Lollipops Parramatta.
- Shop at part 2 of the Winter Wonderland themed Market by the River. After you’ve picked up a few goodies why not head to Ermington West Public school for the Parramatta Rocks! Rock painting party.
- Head to the Gluten Free Expo this weekend for a great opportunity to discover, taste and buy everything that’s new in gluten free foods as well as pick up a bargain.
- Weet-Bix Little BIG DASH is back for another year of family fun in a brand new venue. Go wild together over 3km as you discover 10 colourful and outrageous obstacle stages. Tickets are still available!
- Ride the mini trains at Blaxland.
- Explore the homestead and the Free Spirit Markets at the Bella Vista Farm Open Day.
- Check out Sculpture at Barangaroo, which opens on Saturday 5th and runs until 19th August.
- Show your love of horses at the Horses Birthday at Australiana Pioneer Village.
- Have you got a school aged child interested in coding? CoderDojo Parramatta is a free coding dojo that meets every Sunday. Don’t forget to register if you want to join in the fun
- Join the wonderful Pip for Sing, Rhyme & Story time at Bunnings Rydalmere today at 10am.
- Enjoy exploring the bush school at Central Gardens and sing and read along with Poppy the Possum.
- Have your say on the design of the new playground and tennis courts at George Kendall Riverside Park.
- Take advantage of a kids eat free deal at a local club/ hotel with a free play area. Two good picks are Hotel Seven Hills and Vikings Sports Club.
- Join the monthly kinder corner group for under 5yrs at Seven Hills Plaza.
- Get your bounce on at Boing Central for their Toddler Time. Mum or dad get a free coffee as well!
- If you missed out on Monday, you can join the amazing Pip at North Rocks Shopping Centre for Sing, Rhyme & Story time today at 10am.
- Share and bond with your baby over rhymes and stories at Redsee’s Bubs ‘n’ Books (under 2’s) @ Parramatta Library
- Do you have a little one under the age of 1? Why not join in Bubba Time at Merrylands Library for some songs and rhymes.
- Explore a playground for the first time. Here are some fun, not so well known ones for under 5s – John Berger Reserve, Rosslyn Blay Park and William Wade Park.
- Go on a city adventure to The Museum of Contemporary Art in the Rocks for some ARTplay! Drop in between 10am and midday for some fun dressing up, singing songs, dancing and games.
- Combine a play with a caffeine and food fix for you at one of the many playgrounds near a cafe. Some suggestions are the new The Container Cafe in North Parramatta with Sherwin Park, Big Tree House Cafe and William Reserve, The Grounds Keeper Cafe and Pavilion Flat playground in Parramatta Park and The Container Cafe with Dundas Park.
- Love the Aussie NightMarkets at Blacktown? Guess what Parramatta now have their own! The Grand Opening of the Parramatta Aussie NightMarkets is on tonight at the Valvoline Raceway.
- Jump along to Boing Central Thursday nights for youth night from 5-8pm. You get 3hrs jumping, pizza & drink for just $15pp.
- Join local parents on a bushwalk for little ones from Fred Robertson Park to William Wade Park, through Vineyard Creek Reserve. Meeting at 10am.
- Meet some new friends during storytime at Livvi’s Place, Yamble Reserve in Ryde.
- Preschoolers can join in for Storytime at their local library. Baulkham Hills, Rouse Hill, Parramatta, Carlingford and Epping all have storytime on today!
Upcoming Events to Mark in Your Calendar
- 12th August: Riverfest 2017, Super Science Saturday, Hornsby Steam Shuttle, India Day, New playground opening @Piddington Street, The Ponds
- 18th to 27th August: Sydney Cherry Blossom Festival @ Auburn Botanic Gardens
- 19th August: Shaun the Sheep meet & greet @ Rydalmere Bunnings
- 26th August: North Rocks School Fete
- 27th August: Orange Blossom Festival Zest Fest
- 31st August: Bunnings Father’s Day Family Night, various stores
- 2nd September: Telopea Community Fair
- 10th September: Let’s Go Greek Festival
- 6th to 8th October: Kidtopia Festival, Parramatta Park
- 8th October: Burwood Festival
PLEASE NOTE: All care has been taken to have accurate information. We do not take responsibility for information that isn’t accurate. Events change and get cancelled and we try to keep up to date. Please make sure you check with the event host to find out if it is still on.