It certainly feels like spring lately! A jam packed weekend makes choosing what to do hard, there’s steam train rides, festivals and you can grab some new books while helping raise money for Rotary’s projects.
With temperatures set to be in the mid 20’s during the week, why not go exploring outdoors along Parramatta River by Ferry or join in the rock painting craze and discover some parks such as Pinetree Park, Sturt Park or Noller Park. There are also over 120 FREE play areas with cafes nearby within a 20km radius of Parramatta CBD, so no need to miss out on your coffee hit now cause the kids want to play.
We have a not so little secret to share as well, The Container Cafe has opened in North Parramatta! It’s located where Crate use to be, opposite Doyle Ground and near Sherwin Park. Why not check it out for lunch, after a play in the park!
Highlights for the Week
Below we have highlighted a few of this week’s events. Click on each day to be taken to the What’s On Calendar for that day. There is also a list of key upcoming events at the end of this article for you to mark in your calendar. And if you haven’t used our What’s On Calendar before, here is a handy demo on the different ways you can use it.
- Riverfest 2017 is on at Auburn Botanic Gardens. Highlights include free bike ride tours, a jumping castle, face painting, market stalls as well as an appearance by West Tigers Players!
- The Australian Museum brings science to life for everyone at Super Science Saturday. With live animal shows, face-painting, hands-on experiments and lectures, there is something for everyone.
- All aboard! If you’ve booked your ticket, enjoy your Steam Train ride from Hornsby to Gordon and back on a vintage steam locomotive 3016.
- Celebrate India’s Independence Day at Parramatta Park! A day filled with celebration, dance and music, rides, food, stall, performances and fire works!
- Grab a book for a bargain at Rotary Club of Beecroft’s Book Fair! It’s on from 9am Saturday and Sunday!
- Head out to The Ponds for the grand opening of a brand new park on Piddington Street, The Ponds.
- Enjoy a fun filled family day out at the Gledswood Farm and Winery Open Day, with farm activities, pat the animals, play garden games, wines or craft beers to try.
- Pick up a bargain at Rotary Beecroft’s annual book fair and then have a play in the train playground.
- Experience the thrills of science in the Australian Botanic Garden, Mount Annan at their Science in the Wild day!
- Pick fresh, juicy mandarins right off the tree at Watkins Family Farm. There are loads of imperial mandarins that need to be picked, plus the super juicy Hicksons.
- Head to Epping Library for Storytime. Its on from 10:30 am, don’t forget to get their a little early to get a good spot.
- Rock with your little one at Ryde Rockers Rhyme Time for 0-2 yr olds at North Ryde and West Ryde library at 2pm
- Grab brunch at the newly opened The Container Cafe in North Parramatta. It’s located where Crate use to be opposite Doyle Ground.
- Temperatures are set to be in the mid 20’s today so why not explore Parramatta River by Ferry or head to the beach for a play on the sand – and maybe even a little splash!
- Head to Wenty Leagues for Tiny Tot Tuesdays.
- Primary kids can enjoy Kids Club at Ryde Library from 4pm. Join in an afternoon of WII games, Lego and craft.
- If you missed out on Monday, you can rock with your little one at Eastwood, Gladesville or Ryde Libraries at 10:30am for Ryde Rockers Rhyme Time.
- Get crazy with rock painting and finding today! Why not check out Pinetree Park, Sturt Park or Noller Park for new hiding places.
- Join in at Parramatta Library from 11:30 am for Redsee’s Toddler Time (2-3yr olds)
- Bubs doesn’t have to miss out either with storytime for 0-2 yr olds on at Carlingford.
- Jump on a train going anywhere and discover a new park, and with little ones under 4 not needing an opal card it’s an affordable day out.
- Get you bulk deals on at Costco today! Costco Auburn and Casula are opening their doors between 10am and 8pm for you to experience Costco shopping without a membership. There are baby product giveaways and warehouse tours.
- Have a girls night out at the Food and Wine Festival at The Epping Club while supporting Give and Take. Sample the best of food, wine, spirits, beers and delectable treats.
- Kids can boogie at Lollipops Parramatta for $10 tonight by mentioning ParraParents (adult entry is free) at their Trolls themed disco.
Upcoming Events to Mark in Your Calendar
- 19th to 27th August: Sydney Cherry Blossom Festival @ Auburn Botanic Gardens
- 19th August: Shaun the Sheep meet & greet @ Rydalmere Bunnings, Gondwana Garden Family Day, West Ryde Mini Trains
- 20th August: Ferragosto 2017 – Five Dock, Light House Larks Family Day @ National Maritime Museum
- 24th August: Parramatta District Mums Cherry Blossom Playdate
- 26th August: North Rocks School Fete
- 27th August: Orange Blossom Festival Zest Fest
- 31st August: Bunnings Father’s Day Family Night, various stores
- 2nd September: Telopea Community Fair
- 10th September: Let’s Go Greek Festival
- 6th to 8th October: Kidtopia Festival, Parramatta Park
- 8th October: Burwood Festival
PLEASE NOTE: All care has been taken to have accurate information. We do not take responsibility for information that isn’t accurate. Events change and get cancelled and we try to keep up to date. Please make sure you check with the event host to find out if it is still on.