The magic of winter is settling in around us this weekend, with the start of Winterlight, Market by the River winter wonderland and the Winterfest Medieval Fair. And of course, next week is the beginning of the school holidays. Make sure you have a read of our July School Holiday Guide, with 20 top picks and over 200 events. Plus, we have developed a special school holiday guide for families with little ones.
Highlights for the Week
Below we have highlighted a few of this week’s events. Click on each day to be taken to the What’s On Calendar for that day. There is also a list of key upcoming events at the end of this article for you to mark in your calendar. And if you haven’t used our What’s On Calendar before, here is a handy demo on the different ways you can use it.
- Grab some gorgeous produce and artisan goods, plus warm up at the Market by the River Winter Wonderland. There will be a “warm up” zone with lots of hot food and drinks to keep you cosy, free kids activities, a winter dress up competition, plus a whole lot of yummy goodies to buy.
- Join Blinky Bill as he goes on adventures with his friends Nutsy, Splodge, Flap, Marcia and Mr Wombat in a new musical production at the Riverside Theatre.
- Watch the combats, cheer for your favourite knights, try your hand at traditional archery, browse merchant stalls, participate in the costume competition and enjoy the fun of the Winterfest Sydney Medieval Fair at Hawkesbury Showground on Saturday and Sunday. Note: Pre-book tickets online for a discount.
- Grab an end of financial year bargain at Homemaker Prospect and enjoy the free family fun day, with animal petting zoo, putt putt golf and rides.
- Play baseball themed games, meet Syd the Blue Sox mascot, join in fun races and have a bbq lunch at the Sydney Blue Sox Family Fun Day.
- Explore Bella Vista Farm for FREE that their monthly open day and markets.
MONDAY (3rd July)
- Meet Poppy the Possum and listen to stories at Storytime with Poppy in Central Gardens Merrylands.
- Make snowman biscuits at North Rocks Shopping Centre.
- Let the kids run wild at Rhodes Shopping Centre at their Animal Zoo Safari school holiday program. There are animal displays, storytelling and safari tours.
- Explore and build at the Rouse Hill House and Farm Lego Bricks exhibition.
- Paint a boomerang at Bunnings Rydalmere each day this week from 12pm to 2pm.
- Take advantage of the Tuesday 2 for 1 deal for ice skating tickets, amusement rides and food at Winterlight between 11am and 4pm. Plus join one of the three FREE workshops – snowflake making, cotton ball penguins, hot choco making.
- Play, listen to stories and catch up with other local parents at the monthly Magic of Storytelling playgroup in Miriam Park, West Ryde.
- Set back in time at Australiana Pioneer Village and see blacksmith demonstrations, meet their new chickens or ride a mini train,
- Celebrate NAIDOC week at the Family Day at Blacktown Showground, with live entertainment, workshops, stalls, face-painting, kids’ activities and a free barbecue.
- Test your family’s general knowledge at the Family Trivia Night at Ikea Marsden Park.
- Let the kids get creative at The Bower’s mosaic workshop, just $5 for City of Parramatta residents. Bookings essential.
- Enjoy a NAIDOC performance at Ryde Library and then check out the light playground at Top Ryde City afterwards.
- Pop into Parramatta Library for holiday play where little ones can play with some toys and borrow books to enjoy at home.
- Decorate a mask and join the masquerade parade during the Dance Upon A Dream Show (Disney themed show and parade) at the Rouse Hill Town Centre.
- Get crafty at the Lidcombe Centre’s school holiday arts and craft activity tables.
- Watch a movie for free at Ikea Marsden Park’s movie night.
- Rug up and step out into a free winter wonderland at Central Gardens in Merrylands.
- Head over to Gladesville Library for a special school holidays rhymetime and storytime.
- Drizzle to the max on World Chocolate Day at Macquarie Centre. Pop into Max Brenner and get ANYTHING drizzled for free!
- Plant your own seeds and watch them grow at Macquarie Centre’s FREE School Holiday Seed Planting Workshop.
- Get ready to Live, Laugh and Smile with a Bollywood tribute, an unbelievable underwater sequence, a fun story about leprechauns, a crazy look at the classic western and more at the opening night of the Cumberland Gang Show at Riverside Theatres.
Upcoming Events to Mark in Your Calendar
- 8th July: Burramatta – a family friendly cultural celebration
- 12th to 15th July: Way Out West Festival for Children
- 15th July: Mini Trains West Ryde
- 29th and 30th July: Family Fair at Rouse Hill House and Farm
PLEASE NOTE: All care has been taken to have accurate information. We do not take responsibility for information that isn’t accurate. Events change and get cancelled and we try to keep up to date. Please make sure you check with the event host to find out if it is still on.