A BIG thank you to all the families who have helped keep litter out of Parramatta River and our lovely local parks and waterways!
It was very difficult to pick winners for the nine $100 gift card prizes from the 23 entries we received – you are all WINNERS to us!
Here are the nine people selected to receive a $100 gift card (in no order):
- Hayley Lam
- Angela Turville
- Laura Amos
- Jess Wong
- Ro Crawford
- Barbara Bryan
- Sara Rosecut
- Rashi Srivastava
- Maryanne Thompson
As the first person to enter the competition, Linda Tuerhong is also the winner of a $100 gift card.
There were also three $100 gift cards given as lucky ‘door’ prizes to three adults who removed at least half a bag of rubbish from George Kendall Riverside Park during our community litter clean up on 17th October. The lucky winners were Anne Sykes, Jenna van Bentum and Nick.
How great is it to have so many fun local parks, playgrounds, bushwalks and creeks to enjoy. But it’s not so nice when they are littered with rubbish!
Let’s face it, who wants to play, walk or ride amongst rubbish?? It’s ugly, unhealthy and unsafe. What’s more, it kills animals and makes our natural environment sick. Plus, it takes away from the beauty of our lovely bushland and waterways.
Did you know any rubbish left on local streets and parks washes into the storm water system when it rains. And unless caught, ends up in Parramatta River.
So we’re asking you to join us this spring in giving local parks and waterways a spring clean by picking up litter.
Let’s leave the free outdoor spots we enjoy cleaner than we found them!
And thanks to covid19, most of us now take hand sanitiser everywhere so you really don’t need anything else to get in on the action. We do though usually take an empty bread bag to collect rubbish in and tongs/ gloves to pick the litter up with.
To thank you for helping spring clean the Parramatta River Catchment area, we’re giving away 13 $100 gift cards, plus five children’s environmental books valued up $20 each, thanks to Above All Bathrooms.
“Above All Bathrooms has renovated countless bathrooms all across Sydney, but we call Parramatta home. Seeing Kellie & ParraParents clean up literally hundreds of kilos of rubbish along Parramatta River has inspired us to get involved and lend our support. We’re grateful for the opportunity to give back to our community and hopefully inspire others to get on board with this worthy initiative. Let’s keep our river clean!” – Ben Rumsey, Managing Director
Disgusted by the level of rubbish ending up in Parramatta River, ParraParents has been organising litter clean ups for a few years now. And during that time we’ve removed about 250 large bags of rubbish. In just the last four months alone, we’ve removed over 500kgs of rubbish from just along the Ermington foreshore! We thank Above All Bathrooms for their generous support of our efforts to help make Parramatta River swimmable again.
It’s may not be my rubbish but this is my planet!
Reducing the amount of litter in our parks, creeks, river and streets requires each and every one of us to do our bit. It starts by making sure all our RUBBISH GOES IN THE BIN. And ultimately, we need to be creating less waste in the first place and looking at more ways to recycle and reuse.
How to Enter
There are two ways to WIN 1 of 13 $100 gift cards.
- Each adult who collects at least half a standard Clean Up Australian bag of rubbish at the Parramatta Riverkeepers Litter Clean Up on 17th October between 2:30pm and 4:30pm at George Kendall Riverside Park will go into the draw to WIN 1 of 3 $100 gift cards.
- Simply pick up some litter when you are out in a public place in the Parramatta River catchment and share a before and after photo with us (or just a photo of all the rubbish you’ve removed) on the ParraParents Spring Litter Clean Up competition post on Facebook or in a public post on Facebook or Instagram using the hashtag #parraparentsspringlittercleanup for your change to WIN 1 of 13 $100 gift cards. NOTE: the first person to enter is guaranteed to win a $100 gift card.
All children who remove one Smurf Clean Up Australia bag of rubbish during the Parramatta Riverkeepers Litter Clean Up – Ermington on 17th October will go into the draw to WIN 1 of the 5 children’s environmental books, valued at up to $20 each.
The competition opens on Thursday 24th September at 8pm and closes on Sunday 25th October 2020 at 8pm.
Competition Terms and Conditions
- By entering and participating, the entrant agrees to the terms and conditions set out below.
- By entering and participating, the entrant agrees to hold harmless, defend and indemnify ParraParents, Above All Bathrooms and Facebook from and against any and all claims, demands, liability, damages or causes of action (however named or described), losses, costs or expenses, with respect to or arising out of or related to (i) entrant’s participation in the competition, or (ii) entrant’s participation in any prize related activities, acceptance of a prize and/or use or misuse of a prize (including, without limitation, any property loss, damage, personal injury or death caused to any person(s).
- The competition is open to all families living in Sydney who remove rubbish from within the Parramatta River Catchment area, except the judges and their family.
- You can enter as many times as you like during the competition period.
- There are two ways to enter: 1) collect at least half a standard Clean Up Australia Day bag of rubbish during the Parramatta Riverkeepers Little Clean Up – Ermington at George Kendall Riverside Park on Saturday 17th October between 2:30pm and 4:30pm. OR 2) share a before and after photo of an area you’ve cleaned of litter or a photo of the litter you’ve removed on the ParraParents Facebook page and/ or in a public post on Facebook or Instagram using the hashtag #parraparentsspringlittercleanup.
- All entries will be judged by ParraParents (Kellie Darley) and Above All Bathrooms (Ben Rumsey). The judge’s decision is final.
- The competition begins 8PM THURSDAY 24TH SEPTEMBER 2020 and ends 8PM SUNDAY 25TH OCTOBER 2020. All entries must be posted by 8PM SUNDAY 25TH OCTOBER 2020 via the ParraParrents Facebook page OR on a publicly visible post on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #parraparentsspringlittercleanup.
- The winners will be announced on the ParraParents website and Facebook page by 6TH NOVEMBER 2020.
- The winners will be contacted by MONDAY 9TH NOVEMBER 2020.
- There are 18 prizes to be won (total prize pool value is $1300):
- 1st prize is one $100 Woolworths gift card each and will go to the 1st person who submits a valid entry.
- 2nd to 10th prize is one $100 Woolworths gift card each and is open to everyone.
- 11th to 13th prize is one $100 Woolworths gift card each and is open to adults who attend the Parramatta Riverkeeper Litter Clean Up – Ermington on 17th October and collect at least half a standard Clean Up Australia bag of rubbish.
- 14th and 18th prize a children’s environmental book, valued up to $20 each and is open to children (under the age of 18yrs) who attend the Parramatta Riverkeeper Litter Clean Up – Ermington on 17th October and collect a kids Smurf Clean Up Australia bag.
- The winners will either be given their prize (in the case of the books) or sent it electronically (gift cards).
- The prizes are not redeemable for cash.
- In the event a winner is not able to receive their prize, a runner up will be selected by the judges.
- In the event that there are less than 20 entries received, ParraParents reserves the right to extend the competition period.
- All entrants give permission to ParraParents to use their entry photos by entering the competition. The photos may be used on social media or other online communication.