Before Easter, my mum makes a few different Easter cakes and biscuits. Some of their regular guests observe lent and as such, some of the food and desserts she makes are vegan. I absolutely LOVE vegan food so I am pretty happy about this. I’ve asked her to share the recipe to one of my favourite tea cakes, Sfouf.
- 2.5 cups of plain flour
- 1 cup of fine semolina
- 1.5 cups of sugar
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 2 teaspoons of tumeric
- 1 cup of vegetable oil
- 2 cups of water
- 2 teaspoons of aniseed whole (seeds/yansoon)
- Some sesame seeds for decoration
- In a small pot, put 2 teaspoons of aniseed whole and 2 cups of water and bring to the boil, then turn off and set aside.
- Mix all the dry ingredients.
- Add the oil and the drained aniseed liquid without the seeds and mix thoroughly.
- Get a deep baking tray and brush some oil.
- Sprinkle some sesame seeds
- Pour the mixture and spread it out and put more sesame seeds on top
- Bake in the oven for 20 mins or until brown (200 degrees for fan forced oven or 180)
- Set aside and let it cool down.
- Slice it into little squares and serve