Right next to Telopea Public School is the semi hidden gem, Sturt Park. Home to the Telopea Skate Park, this open space has a little bit of everything. A full size basketball court, a cricket batting cage, a football oval, skate park, playground, BBQs, picnic tables and even toilets! Plus, from August 2019, the new Playgroup NSW play van will visit Sturt Park every Thursday during school term from 10am to 12pm.
Sturt Park is also set for a major upgrade, with the NSW Government committing $5million to improve both Sturt Park and Acadia Park up the road.
The playground is set far enough back away from Sturt Street, Chestnut Ave and Kissing Point Road so that those with runners don’t have to worry.
The gum trees provide enough shade over the playground but still let the beautiful autumn sun though.
The playground has:
- 2 slides, a bumpy one and a spiral slide
- Stairs and a climbing net
- Monkey bars
- Spiral and straight fire pole
- 2 swings, including one with a toddler seat
- steering wheel, telescope and pretend shop window.
There are also two benches right next to the playground and a stone boulder type wall for kids to walk along.
In between the playground and skate park, are BBQs and picnic tables.
I haven’t had a chance to check the toilet block to see if there are baby change facilities. The toilet block is located on the other side of the football field.
- Sturt Park is a short walk to Waratah Telopea Valley Shops, where you can buy delicious cakes and a hot coffee from the Valley Bakery. There are also 2 medical centers, an IGA and a few other variety stores.
- The Dundas Branch Library is also located nearby, just slightly up Sturt Street from the shops. It holds plenty of kids activities, such as Rhyme Time and Story Time. You can find out when these activities are on via our What’s On Calendar.
- Sturt Park is a 13 minute drive from Parramatta Westfield and a 10 minute drive from Carlingford Court.
- Other local parks and places to visit near by include Vikings Sports Club, Dundas Sports & Recreation Club, Dundas Park (home to the Phillip Ruddock Water Playground) and Upjohn Park.
Finding Sturt Park
Sturt Park is located between Sturt Street, Kissing Point Road and Chestnut Ave next to Telopea Public School. It is roughly a 10 minute drive from Parramatta CBD along Kissing Point Road.
There is parking available in Chestnut Ave but take note of the parking restrictions due to the school area. There is also parking available at Waratah Telopea Valley Shops which is located on the corner of Sturt Street and Evans Road.
The 545 stops on Sturt Street near the park. You can also catch the 521 which stops on Kissing Point Road and it is a short walk to the park.