Hidden in a quiet suburban street behind Midway Shops is Watts Park. This little gem has quickly become a favourite with Mr 4. With a double slide, 2 sets of swings (both with a toddler swing), a sea-saw, scooter/bike track and fenced it’s the perfect place for a quick stop after a trip to Macquarie Centre.
Watts Park was upgraded as part of the 2015/2016 City of Ryde Council ‘Capital Works Program’ and boy did they do a good job! The playground is set back from the road with plenty of grass between the fence and the playground, which makes it a great place for younger ones to kick a ball around. The scooter/bike track starts at the gate to the park and has a little bridge half way between the fence and the playground.
Although the playground has bark on the ground, it’s very clean and not as dusty as other parks. It is shaded by lovely large Sweetgum trees, and well into the afternoon there is still shade over the playground. The picnic table isn’t shaded, however there are 2 young Sweetgum trees that have been planted next to it. The only issue with the Sweetgum trees are the spikey balls they drop, which happen to fall on the scooter/bike track.
The playground has plenty to offer for the more adventurous toddler and preschooler:
- 2 swing sets with a toddler seat and normal seat each
- Fire pole
- Monkey bars
- Rock climbing ramp to reach the slide
- Tall double slide
- Shop/Cubby house underneath the climbing tower
Good to Know:
- There is a small gap in the fence in the opposite corner to the playground so access can be gained to what appears to be a either a underground water or electricity box.
- There are no toilets in Watts Park, however Midway shops is just around the corner.
- Next to the picnic table, is a bubbler and tap.
Getting to Watts Park
Watts Park is located on Watts Road in Ryde. It is roughly a 20 minute drive from Parramatta CBD. The 286, 297, 518 and 544 from Macquarie Center all stop on North Road, a few minutes walk from Watts Park.
Places of Interest Nearby
- A few minutes walk away is a cute little cafe called Romoletto Deli & Cafe. We are yet to try it as it closes a 2pm. Next to Romoletto there is a Medical Center and Middleton Compounding Pharmacy. There is also plenty of parking out the front if you can’t find a spot on the street near the park.
- Midway Shopping Center is around the corner.
- Macquarie Centre is roughly a 10min drive away.
- Livvi’s Place Yamble Reserve is also nearby.