Winter just got a whole lot more fun with five live shows for families coming to Riverside Theatres in Parramatta. What’s more, you can use both your Creative Kids and Discover NSW vouchers at Riverside Theatres! Plus, if you become a Riverside Member you’ll get even more savings.
Here’s a summary of the performances that you can enjoy as a family this June and July, with three being in the winter school holidays.
Winter School Holidays – Mr Snot Bottom | The Owl and the Pussycat | Cumberland Gang Show |
Other July Shows – The Clown is Sad? | New Owner |
Mr Snot Bottom’s Horrible, Terrible, Really, Really, Bad, Bad, Show | 28th to 29th June
He’s The Willy Wonka of Weird, The Prince of Putrid, The King of Kids Comedy – it’s the disgustingly distasteful Mr Snot Bottom!
Returning by popular demand, Mr Snot Bottom has promised a beautiful, elegant and polite piece of performance about homework, princesses and lullabies…So expect a horrendous hour of the most appalling acting, stupidest scripts and just-dumb dialogue in a putrid performance of horrid humour, that will make you absolutely, utterly…adore every minute!
Mr Snot Bottom promises a snot-load of grosstastic gags, horrible harmonies and just wrong routines perfect for weird kids five and up and their even weirder parents.
- Suitable for: kids 5+yrs and their families
- Dates & Times (4 shows): Monday 28 June at 11:30am and 1:30pm; Tuesday 29 June at 11:30am and 1:30pm, 50min show with no interval
- Ticket Price (member/ non-member): $27/30 adult; $19/21 children, plus booking fee
- Book Tickets
The Owl and the Pussycat | 2nd to 3rd July
In a pea green boat, an owl and a pussycat sail across the sea for a year and a day to fair Bong-tree Bay. Adventure calls, new encounters await and love conquers all in a nostalgic musical journey with an irresistible blend of romance and nonsense.
The Owl and the Pussycat is an enchanting and intimate theatrical experience for families. Be swept away in this all-new opera with stunning vocals, interactive theatre and a troupe of musical Puffins. Aboard a magical pea green boat, this charming work explores the universal themes of love, harmony and acceptance.
- Suitable for: kids 4-10yrs and their families
- Dates & Times (4 shows): Friday 2 July 2021 at 10:30am and 1pm; Saturday 3 July 2021 at 10:30am (Relaxed Performance) and 1pm, 45min show with no interval
- Ticket Price (member/ non-member): $32/35 adult; $22/25 children, plus booking fee
- Book Tickets
Cumberland Gang Show 2021: Rise Up | 2nd to 10th July
A huge new spectacular musical variety show for 2021! With a fabulous musical score and a live orchestra, fantastic sets and costumes, amazing audio visuals and an awe-inspiring cast of more than 150 Scouts and Guides aged seven and up.
The show is full of new family-friendly material, mixed with popular songs you can tap your feet to. This year the gang plans some fun items for the audience including “Land of the Brontosaurus”, where they go back in time with David Attenborough; “Drive” which is a collage of songs about cars where we get to hear “are we there yet?”; “Friends” which is an opportunity to showcase friendship in all its forms with song and dance; “Pirate Life”, where we get to sail the seven seas with some great comedy and rollicking; “One Day in Sydney” which is a celebration of how proud we are to be Aussies; and “Scout ‘N About” where we get to see a bit of Scouting & Guiding fun.
- Dates & Times: Friday 2 July 2021 at 7:30pm (Gilbert); Saturday 3 July 2021 at 2:30pm and 7:30pm (Sullivan); Sunday 4 July 2021 at 2:30pm (Gilbert); Wednesday 7 July 2021 at 11am (Sullivan); Friday 9 July 2021 at 7:30pm (Gilbert); Saturday 10 July 2021 at 2:30pm (Gilbert) and 7:30pm (Sullivan). The show goes for 1hr and 30mins with no interval
- Ticket Price: $32-$37.50 adults, $17.50-$24 children, plus booking fee
- Book Tickets
The Clown is Sad? | 19th July
Meet the Clown. She has lost her favourite toy. Can you help her? Or did you hide it from her? In this performance style game, little ones will play with the Clown and her assistants to expand their developing understanding of empathy and what it is to have a thought.
Both hilarious and deeply moving, audiences will journey with the Clown to dive inside of ourselves into where feelings are made and thoughts are born. Can you make a clown laugh?
- Suitable for: kids 2-6yrs and their grown ups
- Dates & Times: Monday 19 July 2021 at 10:30am, 45min show with no interval
- Ticket Price (member/ non-member): $13/16, plus booking fee
- Book Tickets
New Owner | 28th to 29th July
From the creators of international smash hits The Adventures of Alvin Sputnik: Deep Sea Explorer and It’s Dark Outside comes a sensitive new show for all ages about loss, friendship and new beginnings.
Bart is a boisterous puppy waiting to be chosen from the animal shelter. Mabel is a lonely widow, trying to fill the hole in her heart. The day they find each other is the beginning of a profound friendship – but Mabel is old, and Bart is young – and suddenly alone.
With a stunning and evocative original musical score by composer Rachael Dease this sensational production is sure to win your heart, combining puppetry, live action and animation, New Owner takes us on a world of adventure through a dog’s eyes.
- Suitable for: kids 7yrs+ and their family
- Dates & Times: Thursday 29 July 2021 at 11am and 6:30pm, 50min show with no interval
- Ticket Price (member/ non-member): $32-$41 adults, $22-$29 children, plus booking fee
- Book tickets
About Riverside Theatres
Riverside Theatres celebrates its 33th birthday this year and is home to about 750 performances and events each year, with over 180,000 patrons. It has three venues under the one roof and is a leading entertainment venue and performing arts centre in Greater Sydney.
Riverside Theatres work to bring children to the arts and the arts to children in the most exciting ways possible. It’s a place where stories come to life with the help of puppets, music, fantasy, adventure and lots of laughter. Riverside Theatres select from Australia’s best children’s theatre makers to ensure that parents enjoy the experience as much as their kids.
Local Family Friendly Performing Arts Centre
Riverside Theatres provide a number of facilities and services that help make it a more enjoyable experience for families, including:
- Lots of booster seats available – just ask an usher at your door
- Space to park prams
- A relaxed courtyard for the kids to run around
- Baby change facilities
- Responsible cafe
Getting to Riverside Theatres
Located on the banks of the Parramatta River, near the Eat Street precinct, Riverside Theatres is easily accessible by bus, ferry and car. NOTE: Church Street is currently closed to general traffic between Market and Macquarie Streets due to construction of the Parramatta Light Rail. If driving, it’s best to allow extra time.