I love being in water and so do my little ones. While driving to the beach isn’t out of the question, popping down to a kid friendly local swimming pool is a LOT quicker and easier…..plus there’s no sand!
Here is a list of 18 public swimming pools in and around the City of Parramatta that are kid friendly. This means they have a toddler/ baby pool or zero depth entry to a pool so the little ones can splash in the shallow. And if they are outdoor, there is shade. Some also have fun things like water slides, wave pool, water play features or a water playground as well as family change facilities. NOTE: Two are currently closed for major renovations.
All charge an entry fee for adults and kids entry is usually charged from 5yrs. But there is a BIG difference in entry fees amongst this list of 18 pools. To help, we have used ? to indicate the cheapest pools to visit (less than $7) and ??? to indicate the most expensive ($8.50-$9). By far the best value for money is the Auburn Ruth Everuss Aquatic Centre with an outdoor water playground and indoor and outdoor pools for $6.20 adult entry or family pass for $20.50.
Keep in mind that the City of Parramatta is rather large, so pools local to families in Seven Hills won’t be so local to families in Epping and vice versa. Hopefully there is at least one pool to suit your needs, kids and budget. Sadly, Parramatta Pool was demolished in 2017 and it will be a few years yet before there will be a new pool built in Parramatta Park.
The list of local swimming centres is divided into three groups and listed alphabetically within each:
Here is a Google Map of the kid friendly local swimming pools that you can load onto your phone.
Indoor Only Pools (Listed Alphabetically)
1Blacktown Leisure Centre ? | Stanhope Gardens
Opposite Stanhope Village, this Blacktown Leisure Centre has a wave/ leisure pool, 25 metre lap pool, program pool with moveable floor, toddler splash pools and whirl pool, plus some fun water features like shower mushrooms, waterfalls and water cannons.
- Address: Cnr Sentry Dr & Stanhope Parkway, Stanhope Gardens
- Opening Hours: Monday to Friday 6am–9pm; Saturday, Sunday and public holidays 8am–5pm.
- Entry Fee: $6.40 for adults, $4.80 for kids 5yrs+
- Parking: Free carpark at the leisure centre or across the road at Stanhope Village.
- Public Transport: A number of buses travel along Stanhope Parkway and Sentry Drive.
- Playground Nearby: Just over 800m away is Stanhope Parkway Park.
- Places of Interest Nearby: Stanhope Village, which has two cool free play areas, and Parklea Markets.
2Ryde Aquatic Leisure Centre ?? | Ryde
The Ryde Aquatic Leisure Centre is smaller version of Sydney Olympic Park Aquatic Centre with a rapid river ride, water slide, a 50m and 25m pool plus program pool. Ryde pools also has a wave pool (that operates on weekends and during school holidays), two bubble whirl pools, baby splash pool and a wave rider (additional fee). There is a small outside area with picnic tables and a few water play features such as a misty tunnel, tipping buckets and a small slide.
- Address: 504 Victoria Road, Ryde
- Opening Hours: Monday to Thursday 5:30am to 8:45pm, Friday 5:30am to 7:45pm, Saturday 6:30am to 5:45pm and Sunday 8am to 5:45pm.
- Entry Fee: $8.40 for adults, $6.40 for kids 5yrs+, $3.20 for spectators
- Parking: Free carpark
- Public Transport: A number of buses stop near the Ryde pool.
- Playground Nearby: Monash Park is a 5min drive away and is fenced and shaded.
- Places of Interest Nearby: Top Ryde City Shopping Centre.
3Sydney Olympic Park Aquatic Centre ?? | Sydney Olympic Park
Sydney Olympic Park Aquatic Centre definitely has something for all ages and plenty to keep the kids happy for hours on end. Inside there is the splasher’s water playground, giant water slide, rapid river ride (or large whirl pool), a large leisure pool with zero depth entry, 50m pool and a training pool. Outside there is the splasher’s swirl ride (tea cup amusement ride for $2 per ride), picnic areas, Urban Jungle Adventure Park (additional cost) and Circus Arts (additional cost). Remember though it is a very popular swimming pool and can get crowded on public holidays and weekends.
- Address: Olympic Blvd, Sydney Olympic Park
- Opening Hours: In summer (Oct-Mar), the pools are open 5am-9pm weekdays and 6am-8pm on weekends. The water playground and slide however start from 10am and finish either 6pm or 7pm.
- Entry Fee: $8 for adults, $6.20 for kids 4yrs+, $4.50 for spectators
- Parking: 4hr free parking next door with validated ticket (done at reception)
- Public Transport: The pool is 400m from the Olympic Park train station.
- Playground Nearby: Cathy Freeman park is a short walk down Olympic Blvd and has a playground as well as the 2000 Sydney Olympic cauldron that is now a water fountain. Bicentennial Park is a short drive away.
- Places of Interest Nearby: Sydney Olympic Park.
Combination of Indoor and Outdoor Pools
4Ashfield Aquatic Centre – JUST UPGRADED | Ashfield
Ashfield Aquatic Centre has had a major refurbishment and reopened on 17th October 2020.
5Auburn Ruth Everuss Aquatic Centre ? | Lidcombe
This aquatic centre re-opened in 2017 after extensive renovations. It features a 50m outdoor Olympic pool with grand stand, indoor 25m pool, outdoor water polo pool, family leisure and program pool, and a shaded water playground. All pools are heated and feature disability access.
- Address: Church Street, Lidcombe
- Opening Hours: 6am to 7pm, 7 days a week.
- Entry Fee: $6.20 for adults, $4.60 for kids 5yrs+, $3.70 for spectators
- Parking: Free restricted street parking
- Public Transport: Lidcombe train station is 600m walk away.
- Playground Nearby: A short drive away is Auburn Botanic Gardens, Mona Park and Auburn Park, all with playgrounds.
- Places of Interest Nearby: Auburn town centre, Lidcombe Shopping Centre and Sydney Olympic Park are all a short drive away.
6Birrong Leisure Centre ? | Birrong
If you love water playgrounds but also want to be able to go for a swim, then definitely check out Birrong Leisure Centre. There is a 50m heated outdoor pool, 25m heated indoor pool, fenced water playground, kiosk, a large number of shaded picnic tables and a few bbqs.
- Address: Wellington Rd, Birrong
- Opening Hours: Monday to Friday: 5am to 7pm; weekends: 6am to 5/6pm and public holidays: 10am to 6pm.
- Entry Fee: $6.20 for adults, $4.80 for kids 5yrs+
- Parking: Free carpark
- Public Transport: Birrong pools are in between Regents Park train station and Sefton train station.
7Enfield Aquatic Centre ? | Enfield
The Enfield Aquatic Centre is situated in picturesque Henley Park and is owned and operated by Burwood Council. There is a 50 metre outdoor pool, a 25 metre indoor pool, plus a water playground and a toddlers pool.
- Address: Portland Street (cnr Shelley Street), Enfield
- Opening Hours: In summer, Monday to Friday: 6am to 8pm, Weekends: 8am to 6pm. In winter, Monday to Friday: 6am to 7pm, Saturday: 8am to 6pm, and Sunday 8am to 4pm.
- Entry Fee: $6.50 for adults, $5.50 for kids 3yrs+, $3.50 spectator
- Parking: Car parking at front and rear of centre.
- Public Transport: There are a number of bus routes that go near the pools, along Liverpool Rd, Burwood Rd and Coronation Pde.
- Playground Nearby: There are two shaded playgrounds in Henley Park next door.
8Fairfield City Leisure Centre ??? | Fairfield
The Fairfield City Leisure Centre has a 25m heated indoor pool, 50m outdoor pool, toddler pool, the fun Aquaplay water park, plus a multi-purpose indoor sports court.
- Address: 44 Vine St, Fairfield
- Opening Hours: Opens from first Saturday of Sep/Oct school holidays to end of Mar/Apr school holidays. Monday to Friday: 5:45am to 8:15pm; weekends: 6:45am to 5pm.
- Entry Fee: $9 for adults, $6 for kids 5yrs+, $4 for spectators
- Parking: Free carpark
- Public Transport: Fairfield train station is about a 10min walk away.
- Playground Nearby: The new Fairfield Adventure playground is next door.
9Hornsby Aquatic and Leisure Centre ?? | Hornsby
Hornsby Aquatic and Leisure Centre received a complete make over in 2014. There is a heated outdoor 50m pool, heated indoor 25m program pool, heated indoor leisure pool with zero depth entry, fun water features for the kids and a 2m high enclosed water slide.
- Address: 203 Peats Ferry Rd, Hornsby
- Opening Hours: Monday to Thursday: 5:30am–7:45pm; Friday: 5:30am to 6:45pm; weekends: 7am-6:45pm.
- Entry Fee: $8 for adults, $6 for kids 4-16yrs, $3.00 for spectators
- Parking: Undercover free (3hr) on-site parking
- Public Transport: Hornsby train station is about a 5min walk away.
- Playground Nearby: The pool is within Hornsby Park, which has a fenced playground and bike track.
- Places of Interest Nearby: Westfield Hornsby is about a 10min walk away.
10Ku-ring-gai Fitness & Aquatic Centre ?? | West Pymble
Tucked away in the gorgeous Bicentennial Park at West Pymble is the recently upgraded Ku-ring-gai Fitness & Aquatic Centre, replacing the old West Pymble pools. There is an outdoor heated 50m pool, indoor heated 25m pool, program pool, leisure pool and water play area. Around the pool outside, there is lots of grass to spread out on and inside there is a cafe.
- Address: Bicentennial Park, Prince Of Wales Drive, West Pymble
- Opening Hours: Monday to Friday: 5:30am to 9pm; weekends: 7am to 6pm.
- Entry Fee: $7 for adults, $5 for kids 3yrs+, $3.10 for spectators.
- Parking: Free onsite car spaces in the park.
- Public Transport: Buses travel along Ryde Road near the pool.
- Playground Nearby: The pool is in Bicentennial Park and there is a great fenced playground plus bushwalking tracks.
- Places of Interest Nearby: Eden Gardens is only a 5min drive away and Macquarie Centre is just a little bit further by car.
11Lane Cove Aquatic Leisure Centre ??? | Lane Cove
Lane Cove Aquatic Leisure Centre has a very large leisure pool, indoor 25m and program pools and cafe. The 50m outdoor pool reopened in October 2020 after being rebuilt.
- Address: 2 Little Street, Lane Cove
- Opening Hours: Monday to Friday: 6am–9pm; weekends: 6am-8pm and public holidays: 8am-6pm.
- Entry Fee: $8.70 for adults, $7.70 for kids 5yrs+, $3.50 for spectators
- Parking: Free council carpark opposite
- Public Transport: A short walk from the Lane Cove interchange.
- Playground Nearby: Pottery Green Oval is a short walk away and then there is the fab Blackman Reserve about a 10min drive away.
- Places of Interest Nearby: Lane Cove Market Square and Lane Cove Library.
12Prairiewood Leisure Centre ??? | Fairfield
Prairiewood Leisure Centre has a 50 metre outdoor heated swimming pool, 25 metre heated indoor swimming pool with zero depth access and the new Aquatopia water park, which opened in December 2016.
Aquatopia water park has 10m high giant slides, an adventure aqua tower with 79 water elements and toddler pool. Plus, the Stingray Surf Rider and Fishpipe ride. Entry is a separate fee, starting at $15 for Fairfield City residents and then $20 for non-residents.
- Address: Prairie Vale Rd, Prairiewood
- Opening Hours: Monday to Friday: 5:45am to 8:15pm; weekends: 6:45am to 5pm.
- Entry Fee: $9 for adults, $6 for kids 5yrs+, $4 for spectators. Note: Aquatopia is a separate fee, but includes entry to the indoor pools.
- Parking: Free carpark
- Public Transport: There are very limited options for public transport.
- Playground Nearby: Lizard Log at Western Sydney Parklands is less then a 10min drive away.
- Places of Interest Nearby: Stockland Wetherill Park is less then 10min walk away and Calmsley Hill City Farm is less then a 10min drive away.
13Waves Fitness and Aquatic Centre [CLOSED for Upgrade] ? | Baulkham Hills
Waves Fitness and Aquatic Centre has outdoor heated 50m pool, indoor learn to swim pool and shaded toddler pool with tipping buckets, kiosk, sand pit and large grassed areas throughout the facility. There is also an outdoor trampoline park, which looks very cool, open on the weekends and costs $10 for all day access.
- Address: 44 Mileham Ave, Baulkham Hills
- Opening Hours: Monday to Thursday 5:30am to 9pm, Friday 5:30am to 6:30pm and weekends 7am to 5pm.
- Entry Fee: $5.80 for adults, $4.30 for kids (4yrs+)
- Parking: Free carpark
- Public Transport: Limited access by public transport.
- Playground Nearby: Alfred Henry Whaling Reserve and Ted Horwood Reserve.
- Places of Interest Nearby: Castle Towers, Castle Mall Shopping Centre, Castle Hill Library, Stockland Baulkham Hills.
Outdoor Pools (Listed Alphabetically)
14Cabarita Swimming Centre ? | Cabarita Park
We were at Cabarita Swimming Centre at least once a week last summer. The shaded toddler pool has the best views of any toddler pool I know of in Sydney – looking out over the marina and Parramatta River. Next to the toddler pool is a grassed area to spread out on. There is also a 0.5m-1m deep program/ leisure pool with steps and an Olympic pool. All pools are outdoor salt water pools and heated to 27 degrees.
- Address: Cabarita Road, Cabarita Park, Concord
- Opening Hours: Only open September to April. Monday to Friday: 6am-7:30pm and weekends: 6am-6:30pm.
- Entry Fee: $6.55 for adults, $5 for kids 4yrs+, $3.90 for spectator
- Parking: There is metered parking available in Cabarita Park.
- Getting There: You can catch the Parramatta Rivercat to Cabarita wharf and then it is about a 5min walk to the pools.
- Playground Nearby: The pool is within Cabarita Park and there is a great shaded playground near entrance to the park.
- Places of Interest Nearby: You can now swim at Cabarita Beach about a 5min walk from the pool and there is also a kiosk at the mariner which is nice for a bite to eat. Rhodes Waterside Shopping Centre is just over 10mins drive away.
15Drummoyne Swimming Centre ? | Drummoyne
Drummoyne Swimming Centre has a gorgeous spot along Parramatta River, next to the Iron Cove Bridge. There is an eight lane 50m pool, toddler pool (shallow end 0.45m and deep end 0.75m), a family change room and an elevator from the centre’s entry to pool deck for wheel chair and pram access.
- Address: Henley Marine Dr, Drummoyne
- Opening Hours: Monday to Friday 5:30am to 7:30pm, Saturday and Sunday 6am to 6pm.
- Entry Fee: $6.55 for adults, $5 for kids 4yrs+, $3.90 for spectators
- Parking: street parking
- Public Transport: A number of buses stop nearby on Victoria Road.
- Playground Nearby: On the other side of Parramatta River there is King George Park with constellation playground.
- Places of Interest Nearby: Iron Cove Bridge, the Bay Run, Birkenhead Point Outlet Centre.
16Epping Aquatic Centre ? | Dence Park, Epping
Epping Aquatic Centre has lovely outdoor heated pools in a tranquil bush setting. It is great for families with a kids pool and shaded baby pool. There is also a 6 lane 50m pool, snack bar and learn to swim programs.
- Address: Dence Park, 26 Stanley Road, Epping
- Opening Hours: Now open all year round. Summer hours are from October to April. Monday to Friday: 5:30am-7:45pm; weekends and public holidays: 7am-7pm
- Entry Fee: $6.20 for adults, $4.60 for kids 5yrs+, $3.30 for spectators
- Parking: Free carpark
- Public Transport: A little over 1km walk from Epping station and slightly closer to bus stops along Epping Road.
- Playground Nearby: Henry Brigg playground, Forest Park and Boronia Park.
- Places of Interest Nearby: Terry’s Creek waterfall, Epping Library, Epping Town Centre.
17Granville Swimming Centre ? | Granville
Granville swimming pool opened in 1936 and was one of the first Olympic sized pools built in Sydney. It now has a 50m pool, 25m pool and partially shaded toddler pool. Note: Management of the pool is currently be handed over by Parramatta Council to the new Cumberland Council and at the moment neither Council has information online about the pool.
- Address: Enid Avenue, Granville
- Opening Hours: In summer, Monday to Friday: 5am-8pm; weekends and public holidays: 7am-7pm
- Entry Fee: $6.50 for adults, $4.70 for kids 5yrs+, $3.80 for spectators
- Parking: Carpark next door near community centre
- Public Transport: The pools are about a 5min walk from Granville train station.
- Playground Nearby: The swimming pool is located within Granville Memorial Park, which has a small fenced playground.
- Places of Interest Nearby: The pool is only a short walk from the main road in Granville with cafes and eateries. It is also a short drive from Primewest Auburn Megamall which has a cool free pirate ship themed kids play area.
18Wentworthville Swimming Centre [CLOSED for Upgrade] | Wentworthville
Wentworthville Swimming Centre is currently undergoing a major renovation. It’s expected to reopen in December 2020.
Other Pools in the Area
There are a few other pools in the area either without toddler or leisure pools or where we haven’t yet been and are unable to comment on the quality of the facility.